Habits and chores


Hey, how goes it?


Today I'm thinking about how important habits are to this family of mine. Implementing a habit focused environment isn't easy, but it is the duty of the keeper of the home. That's me.

(Titus 2:5 "To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed")  

 Granted, if habit training isn't intentional, then the habits that form themselves will be ones that will eventually have to be broken, and that's never easy.

When I first started to think about homeschooling I took a quiz to find out what type of homeschool it would be. (at the time though I didn't even know that there were "types" of homeschools. I didn't know much)  If you want to check it out go to simplycharlottemason.com and look under the getting started tab. She also offered a free printable back then called Laying Down the Rails. Reading that made me get a clear picture of why habit training early is so important. And, I also learned that training them to have good habits starts with my own habits. Now I know, by the fruit of this training, that the Lord led me to it. I'm just amazed!

If I want them to make their beds, pick up their rooms, or keep their bathrooms tidy etc. I have to daily maintain my own areas. I have to be the example for them. This concept changed me. It seems profound, I'm the parent and I need to be a good example. It's not easy though. To train them I had to first train myself. After a while I didn't really think about each task as much, I just got up and made my bed, and this is what I'm starting to see with them.


I start my kids helping with chores right away. I mean when they can pull up on a laundry basket they help mommy do laundry by handing me clothes. In this way it is just part of life, and isn't it? Why do we have such a bad attitude about chores? I'm one of those weirdos that likes to clean, but even for me there is one place in my house I dread to clean! Why do I do that? It takes 10 minutes tops. Well, having a good attitude about work I have found comes from thinking about who I am working for. 

Colossians 3:23 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;"

Okay, now this is a list of just some of benefits that habit training our children has afforded us.


1. They go to bed on time every night. They do not get up, unless there is a bad dream etc. They are trained to go down at the same time every night and to stay in their beds. I just smile each and every night when I grab my tea and head down to watch a show at night with my hubs, it's our time then. (I'm smiling now) 


2. By 3 years old my children can dress themselves, put dirty clothes in the laundry, brush their teeth, use the bathroom and wipe themselves (#1), get themselves an apple or snack, sit at the table and finish their food, and pick up their toys, change out laundry, occupy themselves while I teach the others. 


3. Everyone is productive, playing a role in the family. By age 8 they are doing their own laundry from start to finish. By age 10, they are cooking and preparing full meals for this family of 6 if needed. They work together in teams on projects and all ages learn from each other. There are several other habits in play here that they are in the process of learning. No disputing (Phil 2:14), and being kind (Romans 12:10). They are trying hard.   


4. We all learn to be responsible for our selves and our things. To not leave a trail of our things around the house. This helps so much because it doesn't put the responsibility on one person to pick up after everyone else. 

I could go on, but you know I like to try to keep it short. I will say this though, we are 7 weeks into our term and we are really enjoying the new reward system that we started and the kids are too. 7 weeks in and we are seeing such a huge difference in motivation and accountability. It's pretty fun and the focus is on the rewards that abide at the judgement seat, and working 100% as unto the Lord. 


If you have any questions or want me to talk more about any part of this please leave a comment. Otherwise, thanks for reading I appreciate the support. 


God bless you this week, and He will if you are following His will. 









Comments

Popular Posts