Unschooling in Our Home, and What to do with Toddlers

Hey ya'll, I hope all is well with you. That you are loving the Lord Jesus Christ above all, and being cautious during this chaos that is so near each of us.

I am going to touch on what we do during our homeschool breaks. We call it unschooling and I use that term loosely as well, because it can mean so many things. I think this might be helpful for those who are finding themselves having to do school at home and maybe with those that have littles that are not quite school age. So, I'll also specifically touch on what we do with the toddler, which we have had a toddler in our homeschool for at least 7 yrs now. The youngest is 3 and she will be the last.

Okay, so, unschooling in our home is just child-led learning. So, freedom to follow after interests is the name of our game. I ask each kid what things they would like to learn more about and I gather the resources for them. (we have had quite a wide variety in the past, from how movies are made to learning more about dirt) I don't have lesson plans during this time, and they don't have to report or narrate or write unless they want to. They spend a lot of time outdoors. They still have to do chores. They read for a certain amount of time each day, but they choose what book. They can have screen time after their chores and reading is done. We also meet in the morning for a bible time still so that remains consistent. So, that's pretty much it. I will get books or documentaries from the library or YouTube, or our home library, and let them dive in. I will encourage them to use their sketch pads. I have even thrown in a basket of random flash cards and been surprised by a couple of my kids getting excited about math on their own.

I think with school aged kids my one piece of advice is to follow at least some sort of simple schedule even if it is doing snacks and meals at this certain time each day. They seem to need that structure to build on and it makes them thrive to have a set in stone structure to a day. Routine, which for me personally doesn't come natural, I just know they need it so I do it. I don't know if it's my personality or what but I like flying by the seat of my pants, keeping it interesting by switching things up a lot. However, that stresses kids out and doesn't create the stability they need. Like I said, keep it simple. Here we have meals at about the same times each day, they also have chore times in the morning and afternoon. This creates a sorta skeleton to the day and the other things happen around that frame. There are limits to screen time but that is a normal practice here. There are break time movies that don't get to happen during regular homeschooling months. I won't be going into our criteria for what is appropriate for them to watch and what not because that is a personal choice for your family.

Now, with toddlers, I suggest the activity bags or boxes and several to sort out and rotate. You can find tons of ideas for these on Pinterest. My toddlers are trained to have blanket time, or table time, and mess with the activities during bible study and lessons, during school or break. I have tangrams and wooden sight word boards, building stick activities, color with water, play dough, kinetic sand, and coloring books for options currently. There are days when the morning is shot, and that's just life, there is bickering or doddling and much discipline and then on those days I will just stick her in front of blues clues to get some lessons done. This is okay, you don't have to feel shamed by people who think this will destroy them. Do you read to your toddler? Then they are getting the learning they need. Read to them, and let them play outside as much as possible. They will be fine. 

I also try to be a good example of learning for my children. I make sure to follow things that interest me and let them see me painting or learning a new medium in art. This is also difficult for me because I'm the type that always thinks there are things to do around the house more important than sitting to enjoy reading or a hobby. But, for sanity, I've discovered I need to have time to be creative and that time is invaluable. Maybe that looks like gardening for you or embroidering, whatever peeks your interest. They will grow because you are growing. They see me in God's Word or reading in general and that creates a certain standard, an example. What is important to you? What would you like to see your kids doing more? Do you do it or can you set the example in that area?

I hope this blesses someone and I hope you aren't giving into all the "this is how you homeschool" hoopla going about these days. Let them enjoy the outdoors. Read to them. Let them watch educational programs and talk to them about it. It's going to be great. What a cool opportunity to spend time with them. They are little treasures that grow up so quickly, don't miss the moments!!

God bless you all according to his will. Please leave a comment if you have a question or want me to go into more detail about anything. Stay safe.


Comments

Popular Posts