Nutritional Journey Sum Up and Recent Changes

Hey everyone! How are you? Are you feeling cooped up? Are you worried? I'm praying in general for all who read my blog and also, all who need to hear the truth and hope in the Lord Jesus Christ. That is really all we need during all seasons of life, good or bad am I right? If you are resting and trusting in Him then please pray for the opportunities to share the good news with those who need it most right now in these uncertain times. God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Okay, I thought I'd do a quick post about just where we have come from in our journey of health and nutrition. To sum up 10+ years will be a task indeed. I hope it is enjoyable to read, but mostly it is a way for me to document when we made the most recent changes to our diet. The change began last week and after 5 years of one life style we are taking a little turn for a time.

I was raised a meat and potatoes girl. I loved all meats from Ham to venison sausage, and beef, chicken, turkey, and lunch meats, BBQ ribs, pot roast, and even canned meats. We had hamburger helper, pork chops and hot dogs all the time. When I met my husband I was eating fast food daily, plus mt. dew and candy bars for breakfast, I was just eating whatever. I had no regard for what was healthy. I saw my parents go through times of focusing on weight and diet and I think I noticed a little of what they were doing, but mostly I didn't.

I wanted to get pregnant and so I quit smoking. Just like that. I was able to get pregnant the second month we were trying and I have friends tell me that this is the time to just eat whatever I wanted and not care. I didn't know better and I gained 60 lbs with my first pregnancy! I lost 40 of that by pushing my daughter around the neighborhood, but did not at this point change my diet. This continued through my second pregnancy and I gained back the weight. I was the same weight for the delivery of my first 3 children actually. I did begin to pay attention more to what I was eating in my third pregnancy, but I only lost 30 lbs after my second, so it wasn't hard to gain that back. The change started after my third pregnancy. My second was my first c-section and the recovery was terrible. My third was a c-section, but the recovery was so much better. This encouraged me to get my body back.

I started the paleo diet, I was eating every 2-3 hours a small portion of a lean protein plus a fruit or veg and this boosted my metabolism. I dropped 85 lbs with out a structured exercise routine. I was just taking care of 3 kids and doing paleo. Once I hit my goal weight I found out I was pregnant. It was a surprise! Well, sad to say I gained all the weight back plus some, and by this time I had watched a documentary called Vegucated and I was completely vegan, and organic. I was 26 lbs heavier when I delivered this time than all the other times! I decided that my body just needed to be heavier to grow a baby, cause I ate my best ever during my last pregnancy. I had a completely vegan pregnancy.

All that to say, I have found what works for me. After years of research and considering the health issues of my family before me the best choice for me to get healthy was to go plant based and whole food. Now, I have done juicing cleanses, I have added in eggs, fish and some cheese since that decision, just to try to get something close to paleo with out the meat, Because I want to lose weight.

I have had all the testing done, blood work and all. I am perfectly healthy. I don't have any health issues. I'm not deficient I'm in perfect health, that's what my Dr. says. But guys I cannot lose weight on a whole food plant based diet! I have tried it with exercise, and I'm sure my metabolism has just plateaued. So, it was a tough decision, but I've decided to add back in chicken. I'm doing it for the time it takes to lose weight. Although I'm healthy, I'm not happy. I keep having knee injuries and it is due in part to extra weight. I know I can maintain my weight on a whole food plant based diet and I feel my best on it, so I will prob go back to it once I hit my goal.

I don't want this post to seem like a confession. I'm hoping it is encouraging to my readers, that if you have been used to one way a long time and seem in a rut, get educated and make a change. Do it for the long term health, and for the goals you have to feel your best and do your best. Do it for you, so you can do more for others and be used better and longer by the Lord. Your body is unique and has different needs than others, even if you can be put into a box with them, same body type or whatever. Listen to your body and be brave. God has made us to be able to consume animals if we need to. I find no shame in it even though it is a big change, I haven't eaten chicken in 5 yrs!

Well, I love food documentaries and I encourage you all to watch some of these. They will kick you in the pants and motivate you to be a healthier you!

  • OMG GMO
  • Food Inc.
  • Dr. Fuhrman (on you tube)
  • Forks Over Knives
  • That Sugar Film
There are tons more, but these are a good start. I hope someone can use this info and be edified. Have a wonderful weekend and be the healthiest you! (One final thought, I know I harp about not comparing ourselves to others, but don't, they are not you, noone else is, only you can help yourself with the Lord all things are possible) Blessings.

Comments

Popular Posts