K. Academy Books

Hello! Welcome! 
I pray this time you have decided to generously give in reading our blog is edifying to you. I'm excited to announce that we are starting a homeschool book shoppe. We plan to sell books only, and the quality of the books must meet a high standard we hold for ourselves. However, we are a big family on a small income as most of our customers may be and so we will keep our prices very reasonable. 

We are embarking on this new adventure because my oldest daughter has been interested in making money lately. We have a chores reward system in place that helps them with a physical picture of a spiritual reality that will take place at the judgement seat of Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:10; Romans 14:10; 1 Cor 3) We cash out the coins and they have some money to spend depending on how well they did at the time of the opportunity. Did they do the job correctly the first time when they were expected to do it, or did they have to come back and redo any part. Any way there is much more to it, the point is she has been learning so much through deciding what to do with her own money and would like to earn more. She has asked to do extra chores, or work at her grandma's house for money, or maybe make some things and sell them on Etsy. Thus, the idea came to me about selling books. 

I love books! I am addicted! I love the hunt, the smell, the feel, the new and the nostalgic ideas inside each one. I have built a home library for our school with more than 1000 books! I think that may be a big enough library for us even with the revamping I do when I find a nicer copy to change out from my own etc. So, basically I get to continue to do what I absolutely love, finding hidden book treasures in hole in the wall book shoppes and second hand stores, library sales and garage sales, and YOU get to reap the rewards! 

 My daughter is my partner at nearly 11 yrs old. She has gone through the state website with me to see what all is required for us to sell legally in our state and we have already gone hunting and found many like new books. We have put them in sets and priced them and taken pictures of them. We came up with a store name, discussed what we will use the money for and what some goals are for our business. We have decided on some store policies together and learned about pay pal and shipping and doing this all together has been so amazing! It's a new journey! We are so excited about the timing too, because of many new home schools starting this year!  We have already made our first sale!!

 Our first customer is an amazing mom who does food reviews online and she is also building her home library for her children. (She happens to be an old friend and so I let her have a look at inventory early, I have an idea about creating a preferred list of those who would like to get into the mix before a sale, but it will have to be those near me I think. That's just a brewing idea at the moment!) You can find her on Instagram at food_reviews_by_em. 

We are hunting for books that we would love to keep! So they have to be in great condition, and not twaddle. We are on the hunt for anything that Charlotte Mason would approve of, and the classics. Collectibles will not be hidden from us and we will find things that others may request too. The Lord is leading and He always helps me to find not only what I'm looking for but much better than I expected!! It happens to me all the time with other things that I may need. I ask Him and he blows my mind above my expectation! 

So, we start our first 72 hour public sale in Aug. I will be announcing that start date on our public Instagram account, Kolanderacademy go follow us there!! We will do 2 sales on school breaks and 1/month during school.  All the details about our policies are posted on our Instagram page. We also started a Facebook account called Kolander Akademy (yes, spelled like that) and it is a public account basically to announce when our sales are too. 

I hope we can bless those of you in new home school families with great books to start or fill, or complete your home libraries, and spread the love of stories with your children! We hope you veteran home schools will also be blessed by the selections. Maybe you have wanted to own a certain book for so long and are able now to make it your own because we found that treasured book and are selling it affordably. Also, I hope you will share our info with others so we can all help each other along this journey to educate our children, and created the environment that cultivates the love of learning. 

As always if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! We are excited to begin this new journey and hope you will subscribe to our blog and follow us on Instagram! Blessings to you from our Lord as you love his appearing.
 

Comments

Popular Posts